Beauty oils have hit the beauty community in a big way. They are a huge trend on instagram and can be used in so many ways! But, they can be viewed as a big no-no especially to people with oily/combination skin. “Will it make me more oily?” “Will it make me break out?” “Do I need another product in my skincare routine?” These are common questions I get asked when I talk with people about facial oils. I asked the same questions!
Today I’ll be talking all about facial/beauty oils, if they will work for your skin (they will), and what are some of my favourites!
Be warned: you will read the words hydrating, nourishing, and love a lot in this post.
First of all, oils are so multipurpose and can be used differently for different people and different skin types! One of the most common ways is to use it is as a moisturizer – they are amazing moisturizers. I typically don’t use oil during the day but I love to slather oil on my face at night. I have also mixed oil in with my foundation when my skin is feeling extra dry and my face needs to have a little glow. Not all oils can be used this way but if you find one that works, stick with it! Although I don’t have any, you can also buy dry oils for the same purpose. They don’t feel greasy on the skin and sink in very quickly.
I know oily skinned people are saying to me “I can’t use it, it’ll make my skin more oily.” It’s actually the complete opposite! If you are using products that just strip your skin of the natural oil, your skin will think it needs to produce more oil. But, if you keep your face hydrated, your face won’t produce so much oil. I made that mistake for years when I had combination skin. For my oily skinned friends, I recommend to use a facial oil at night! That way, you wake up hydrated and can wash off the excess in the morning.
Another great thing about facial oils is you can find them at many different price points. They are sold at department stores and are also sold at the drugstore as a cheaper alternative!
On to some of my favourite oils!
- Physcians Formula Ultra Nourishing Argan Oil (~$18 CAD): This one is quite new to me! I wanted to find some cost-efficient alternatives from the drugstore. This one does the trick! I’ll mix in a drop of this with my foundation and it makes my skin look so nourished and healthy.
- Farsali Rose Gold Elixir ($67 CAD): This is an insta-famous oil for sure and it smells fantastic. What’s cool about this one is it contains 14K gold flakes that you can actually see! This one I use purely for skincare because gold is so good for your skin due to it’s anti-aging properties.
- Tarte Maracuja Oil ($60 CAD): This is an old favourite of mine. It is actually the first oil I ever tried and I still love it. It’s really hydrating. I’ll put this on at night and when I wake up, my skin will be nice and plump.
- The Ordinary Rose Hip Seed Oil ($9.90 CAD): First off, I love this brand. This is the least expensive oil I’ve ever come across and it does an amazing job. However, I don’t like the smell of this one so I have to mix it in with another moisturizer but this oil does an amazing job.
- Josie Maran Argan Oil ($60 CAD): A holy grail within the beauty community! And holy grail for a reason – this is one of the first facial oils to come out on the market. I love both the original version of this and the light version. They are both really hydrating and I find they sink into the skin relatively quickly.
If you can’t tell, I’ll never doubt facial oils again. They are and always will be a part of my skin care routine!
What are some of your favourite facial oils? Any new ones I need to try? Let me know in the comments below!